Saturday, July 30, 2016

20 Songs to Use at School #KidsDeserveIt



Over the past few weeks I've been writing about songs with lyrics that have been challenging or inspiring me.  I wrote a post called "Rise" about Katy Perry's new song, and then "Breathe" about Jonny Diaz's new song.

After writing those posts I thought about how much I love music and how much I use music at school.  As a classroom teacher I always tried to keep my finger on the pulse of positive, clean, inspiring music the kids may know or enjoy.

As a principal now, I start every single day with a song playing over the announcements.  So I figured why not share some of my favorites with you (and link to where you can get them on iTunes)!  So here they are...



"We Are Brave" by Shawn McDonald
(A several year staple. I still can't get enough of this song)



"Love With Your Life" by Hollyn 
(BRAND NEW song I can't wait to use)



"Dices (Who Says)" by Selena Gomez 
(we use the Spanish version just to mix things up but the English version is great too!)



"Lean On Me" by Group 1 Crew



"Gold" by Britt Nicole
(love the message in this song)



"Be One" by Natalie Grant
(this one does have a religious slant towards the second verse, but the first verse and chorus are still so powerful)



"Sing" by Pentatonix



"Make the World Move" by Christina Aguilera ft Cee Lo Green



"Day One" by Matthew West




"Powerful" by Empire



"Dark Horses" by Switchfoot



"You Are Loved" by Stars Go Dim



"Live Like We're Dying" by Kris Allen



"Different" by Tricia



"Different Drum" by Blanca



"The One" by Brandon Heath



"Imagine" by Melissa Greene



"Rise Up" by Andra Day



"Torches" by Daughtry



"Rock What You Got" Superchic[k]



I believe there's such power in music.  I try to uplift, encourage, and inspire my students every day with different music the way it has touched my life as well.

These are just a few of the many songs I use in my classroom and in my school.  What are some of your favorites?





No comments:

Post a Comment