Sunday, July 24, 2016

Breathe #KidsDeserveIt


Music has always been a passion of mine.  People are always surprised at how varied or eclectic my music tastes are.  I listen to music, I study music, I research the artists, follow current news, and more.  I even wanted to be a radio DJ at one point (we all see how well that worked out).

My last post I wrote "Rise" was inspired by Katy Perry's new song.  And then I heard Jonny Diaz's new song "Breathe" and it has inspired me to share a few thoughts as well.  This is going to be Part 2 in a Music Series.  Part 3 will be up later this week (and maybe you can guess the song! Another brand new release!)

Like my "Rise" post, I wanted to pull some of they lyrics from Jonny's song and share.

Alarm clock screaming bare feet hit the floor
It’s off to the races everybody out the door
I’m feeling like I’m falling behind, it’s a crazy life


How many times in our daily life do we feel like the lyrics above? For me I think it's a daily battle.  There's so many things I'm trying to accomplish or so many things I've allowed on my plate (or placed there myself) that it feels like too much.  It feels like I can't catch a breath.  Like I'm falling behind while everyone else screams past me.

I have to remind myself on a daily basis that I can't do it all.  And that that's ok.

I won't solve every problem.  I won't make everyone happy all the time.  I won't always be able to complete everything on my to-do list.

I'll fall.  I'll make mistakes. But the great thing is that I will get to try again tomorrow (or even 15 minutes later). 

I’m busy, busy, busy, and it’s no surprise to see
That I only have time for me, me, me


While listening I heard this line and it hit me like a ton of bricks.  Think about the words and the amount of truth they hold.

Sometimes we allow ourselves to become so busy that in the end, the only person we're making time for is....ourselves.

How often when someone asks how we're doing do we say "Oh I'm good, just really busy with work!" Why do we say that?  Is "busy" a badge of honor?  Do we think others aren't busy?  It's a phrase in my conversation that I am trying to get rid of myself.

There are days where I need to stop what I had planned, set aside my list, and be present.  Sit with someone and ask to hear their story. Play on the playground with a child. Read a book with or to someone. Volunteer at the food pantry.  Whatever.

When we allow ourselves to just "get busy" we end up focusing on me, me, me.

Breathe, just breathe
Come and rest at My feet
And be, just be
Chaos calls but all you really need
Is to just breathe


And of course, the chorus.  Oh how I love this song's course and the cadence of the song. They lyrics in the verses are quick and upbeat, and as soon as you hit this chorus it all just stops and slows.  I love that.

But I love these words too.  Breathe.  Just breathe.

Take time to stop everything and just take a breath.  To rest in the moment.

Chaos will call.  It will scream your name. But you have to take a moment to breathe.

And being a man of faith, I love the lyrics "come and rest at my feet".  So often I try to do things on my own, and I have to remember that I can lay it all down at my Father's feet and not carry the burden.  I can sit there and rest in His goodness, forgiveness, and love.  I have to.

So I hope if you know this song, or if you're hearing it for the first time today, that it provides you with a little hope.  A small reminder, that yes life is busy and crazy, but sometimes all we need to do is to just #Breathe.





No comments:

Post a Comment